Tuesday 18 September 2007

Their eyes were watching god,



I saw this on my housemates course book shelf and instantly I wanted to know what the book had to say. The cover graphics, whilst not shocking or overly innovative work well and look good with the typography that is also on the front. My first thoughts were that it had a very balanced and reflective quality about it, like you sere seeing an image of how the main character felt not looked, I think it was this that made me curious in the first place. From what I have been told and found out from skim reading the first chapter or so, the plot is about the main character Janie who is recounting the events from the last twenty of her life; This obviously is where the very reflective character pose came from. The one thing that did confuse me slightly was that very peaceful images had been shown in colors which are normally associated with danger. This is also something that is a theme within the book.

This cover uses a different technique to simply showing a scene or character from the book, in my opinion it shows a feeling and a theme. The fact that this can be communicated to the author before they even open the book is something I find really interesting, its something that has a large amount of potential for future work.

No comments: