Monday 17 September 2007

Targeted TV Adverts



I saw this advert for the first time last night on TV. Aside from the fact that its a good example of Chanel successfully creating a glossy luxurious advert that will not look out of place either now or at christmas, I also noticed something else. There were two guys and three females in the room at the time, both the lads after commenting on how good looking she was weren't that interested. All of the females however were more captivated by the advert and the product they were selling. I actually asked the people I was sitting with after what they thought of it, both guys said it was boring and not remotely appealing, where as the rest of us were really attracted to it. I know this in itself is not conclusive, but it was interesting to see how we all reacted to an advert none of us had seen before, when we weren't deliberately trying to form an opinion (as you do in a focus group for example). I think this is a case where they know so clearly who their target audience is they are able to design an advert that appeals directly to them. Whilst its something we all try to do, seeing this made me realize how much impact it can have if done successfully. I guess its a good example of the fact you don't have to be worried about alienating some people, in order to reach your desired customers.

No comments: