Wednesday 15 August 2007

Penguin Books "We print the words, You do the Covers"


I decided to go to into borders earlier to look continue my book cover investigation, I deliberately went in not looking for anything in particular so I could just walk up and down the isles and see what stood out. There were several different ones that I did notice but the most significant were the Penguin Design your own book cover novels.

The editorial Director commented on this innovative project saying “Anyone can draw sketch or scribble their own cover, and make the outside of the book as personal as their reaction to the insides.” I love this idea, every person reacts differently to books, situations and stories, the reason I chose to look at book cover art in the first place was because I noticed very few reflected the contents of the novel.

Have a look at the gallery of art that this has produced, I could talk about the idea and concept of this for ages, but to be honest its best if you view the results yourself.


1 comment:

SarahFleming said...

I hadn't come across this idea from Penguin until you posted but what a great way to differentiate themselves in a competitive market and encourage audiences to respond to the books they read.

The books have completely moved away from the conventional book cover, providing product differentiation and an eye-catching design on the bookshop shelves. The idea of designing the book cover of the book you bought and read encourages a relationship between the Penguin brand and the reader.

Just by looking at the designs, it highlights how each reader and their imagination interpret and experience the same book in different ways - I think this is one of the hardest aspects of book cover design - it has to reflect the book in some way and be appealing to as wide an audience as possible.