Friday 22 June 2007

National Gallery Grand Tour

(Photo from the Guardian by David Levene)

I heard about this today and thought what a great idea it was. The national Gallery are going on a 'tour' of London in which they take 30 framed reproductions of masterpieces with them. The plan is that they display the artwork in places that it would never normally be seen for example on the outside walls of pubs in Soho or Covent Garden. It’s a really different way of attracting people to their Gallery that would not otherwise have thought to visit.
As I don't live in London I haven't actually seen any of these or the publicity behind this. If anyone has any images or information on how successful it has been I would be really interested to hear about it.

2 comments:

Holly Mee said...

I have heard about this too and saw it on the tv, as they were putting up some of the prints, the quality was really good, but you know someone is going to try and steal them and sell them on ebay or somewhere...

MDelin said...

The idea is good, but I would've liked to see them put it up in the council estates and the rougher parts of London. I know, I know, they will surely vandalise it and what not. But the effort would be worth it - because THERE's a target group not very likely to visit the gallery and a target group which could greatly benefit from a bit of belief in their intelligence. But hey, at least it's a start...